Aug 31, 2012

Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes


I think almost everything tastes better topped with garden tomatoes.  Well not desserts, but everything else.  I truly wish tomato season lasted all year.  This weeks Friday Five Favorites is my five favorite ways to eat garden tomatoes.  I tried to put my favorite dish first but I truly love them all.  So I'll start with .......

1. Bruschetta
I buy a baguette and cut two pieces 3-4 inches long.  I then cut them in half long way making a top and bottom.  I butter each piece and place then on a small cookie sheet.

I toast the bread in the oven under the broiler.  Watch it closely because it doesn't take long, less than a minute. 


Top toasted bread with tomato mixture and then with grated mozzarella cheese.





Place in oven under the broiler till cheese is melted.

Tomato for bruschetta:

1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped onion or green onion
8 leaves of fresh basil finely chopped or 1 tablespoon dry basil
garlic salt
black pepper

Combine all ingredients.  Let sit in stainer for about 10 minutes or more to strain off some of the tomato juice.  I like to use Roma tomatoes they are less watery.

2. Tacos, taco salad and potacos, what is a potaco you ask.  Well we live in Idaho, a potaco is a baked potato topped with taco fillings like taco meat, or browned ground beef, or chili; and cheese, salsa, sour cream and of course chopped tomatoes.   


3. Tomatoes and cottage cheese, if you like tomatoes and cottage cheese you've got to try these two together.  My mother served this combination and I love it.  My mother ran into one of my sister's old boyfriends at the store, he introduced my mother to his wife as the lady who taught him about tomatoes and cottage cheese.  It's simple but delicious.

4. Fresh Salsa, I make a traditional salsa from the tomatoes from my garden, which I bottle or freeze.  While tomatoes are in season I like to make fresh salsa like this one.  Serve with tortilla chips.

Fresh Salsa

1 15 oz. can white corn, drained 
1 15 oz can regular corn, drained
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 2.25 oz can sliced black olives, drained
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 sweet red pepper, chopped
3 large tomatoes, chopped
½ bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 cup of Zesty Italian salad dressing
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper

Mix all of the ingredients, chill for an hour or more. 
I drain off some of liquid before serving. 
I like to add a chopped avocado before serving if I have one.

 
5. BLT sandwiches.  Every one that likes tomatoes likes bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches.

It's hard to stop at 5, I haven't even mentioned hamburgers, omelets or pizza.  The list may never end so 5 is a good number.  Enjoy tomatoes while you can, I know I will.



ANN

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Customized and Installed by Custom Blog Designs

Back to TOP