Mar 24, 2012

Chicken Flautas with Sour Cream Salsa


Watch out because here comes another stellar dinner group recipe.  This one comes from my friend Karie who is a lover of good Tex-Mex food.  Flautas are great because they taste like true Tex-Mex food but aren't too spicy.  You'll love the crunch of the flaky crust mixed with incredible flavors including two of my all time favorites lime and cilantro!
One of the best part of flautas is the to die for Sour Cream Salsa that you dip them in.  It pretty quick to whip up by mixing together;

1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp. lime zest
1 Tbsp lime juice
3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped.  (I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes so I will often leave them out or add some of our favorite homemade salsa.)

Once mixed up fridgerate until you're ready to serve it.

In my mind you can't go wrong with cilantro.  It's probably my favorite spice!  People often ask how I chop up my cilantro so small and it's by using a good pair of kitchen scissors.

Now for the flautas! You'll need;

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic
2 Tbsp shortening
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1  tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 can diced green chilies
4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I often use canned chicken but if you do make sure you reduce the amount of salt to at least half.)
cheddar cheese, grated

Saute' onion and garlic. Stir in shortening, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Add broth, green chilies and chicken.
 Fill flour tortillas with chicken mixture and add cheese.
Fold in the two sides,
and roll up burrito style.
I put a toothpick in to make sure they don't come undone while frying.
Fry in 1/4 inch of hot oil.  They cook quick so be ready to turn them often.
Serve with the sour cream salsa and your favorite Mexican side dishes. YUM-O!

Enjoy!

Printer Friendly

JULIE

1 comments:

Adam Matthews 4/11/2012  

Made these tonight and loved them! Thx Jules! I love this blog! Krista

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Customized and Installed by Custom Blog Designs

Back to TOP