Oct 10, 2012

Homemade Tomato Soup


What to do, what to do?  Too many tomatoes to eat fresh, not enough to make a batch of salsa or juice.  I can always share with the neighbors which I often do, but there won't be very many more tomatoes this year.  We picked every tomato, even the ones that were just turning red before the first frost 5 days ago.  This year's fall has been kind to gardeners, the first frost didn't come till October.  This is amazing for South East Idaho.  The perfect solution is to make a batch of the BEST Homemade Tomato Soup.  I love this soup.  My son raves about this soup.  At our house we like to have toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup.  You can make a batch to freeze (do not can this recipe) or make a batch to enjoy for dinner.  I have done both this fall.  Since I have a small freezer I have also frozen 5-6 cups of tomatoes to make into soup this winter.  This saves room compared to 9-10 cups of soup the recipe makes.  This recipe is from the Gardener's Community Cookbook, I have made a few changes.  I use a stick blender to puree the soup.  To be honest I'm not sure I'd bother pureeing the soup if I didn't have one.  I would chop the tomatoes before starting.  Look at pictures at bottom of post. 

4 tablespoons butter
1 large onion finely chopped
3 pounds of tomatoes peeled and quartered, this is about 6 large tomatoes or 5-6 cups of tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon sugar opt.
1 cup whipping cream opt.







In a large heavy soup pot melt butter.  Add onions and saute over medium heat until soft, about 8 minutes. 

Add tomatoes, thyme, basil, salt and pepper stir to mix.  Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat 8 minutes.  Allow mixture to cool enough for next process. 

Puree tomato mixture.  I use a "stick" mixer to puree the soup in the pot it is cooked in.  You can puree the mixture in a blender or food mill or a victorio strainer (a strainer will remove the seeds, I really don't mind the seeds).  A word of caution, do not put a hot liquid in a blender and it turn on. The liquid will explode.  I don't know the science behind it, but trust me it makes a big mess and can burn you!!!!!!!!!  Return tomato puree to soup pot. 



Heat 1/2 cup of vegetable broth.  (I use my microwave, 30 sec. on high.)   Whisk in flour till smooth.  Stir flour and broth mixture into tomato puree.  Add remaining vegetable broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Remove pot from heat.  Stir in sugar and cream.  Do not boil soup after you have added the cream.

How to chop tomatoes if you are not going to puree soup.


ANN

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Customized and Installed by Custom Blog Designs

Back to TOP