Sep 21, 2012

Favorites From My Garden


Growing a vegetable garden is a lot of work.  The pay off is all the fresh vegetables you get to enjoy this time of year.  I LOVE vegetables so all the work is worth it to me. 
This week's Friday's Five Favorites are my favorite ways to eat what I grow.

 1. Garden Stir Fry

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 carrot cut into sticks and the into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 onion
1/2 sweet red pepper opt.
1 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
garlic salt
pepper

 
I like to use young squash.
 
 
Pour the olive oil into a fry pan, I like to use a non stick pan.  Cook carrot on medium heat for about 3 minutes.  While carrot is cooking cut half sweet red pepper into strips and then in half.  Cut half an onion into petals.  Add to cooked  carrots.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  While onions cook cut zucchini into fourths length ways, then into slices.  Add to onions. 
 
  
While the zucchini cooks cut yellow squash the same as the zucchini.  Add yellow squash to pan cook till vegetables are soft.  Season with garlic salt and pepper.  Serve hot.
 

2. Breaded Zucchini



1-2 young zucchini sliced 1/4 inch
1 egg
2 tablespoon milk
1 cup bread crumbs (I like plain)
vegetable oil
garlic salt
pepper

Beat egg and milk with fork.  Heat oil in fry pan (I use an electric fry pay).  Dip zucchini slices into egg mixture, then bread crumbs cook on one side then the other.  I season with garlic salt and pepper on both sides.  Drain on paper towel before serving.


3. Grilled Yellow Squash  



1-2 yellow squash sliced 1/4 inch
1/4 cup butter melted
garlic salt
pepper

Preheat grill on high for 5 minutes.  Reduce heat slightly.  Dip squash in melted butter.  Remove excess butter before placing on grill.  Season both sides with garlic salt and pepper.  Turn when squash has grill marks.  Squash is done when soft.

4. Cucumbers



I enjoy cucumbers in lots of different salads.  I use them in Turkey and Craisins Pasta Salad for example.  My favorite way to eat a cucumber is peeled, sliced with seasoned rice vinegar sprinkled on it.  It only takes about 1 tablespoon of vinegar for one cucumber.

5. Green Beans

My favorite way to cook green beans is to boil them.  I snip the stem end off and break them in half.  I boil them for 20 -25 minutes.  Drain off the water and season with butter, salt and pepper.  I've tried cooking them in a slow cooker with red potatoes and broiling them but truly, I like them best just boiled. 

I know these last two are boring but I guess that sometimes simple is best.
I hope you enjoy a bountiful harvest from your garden! 


ANN

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Customized and Installed by Custom Blog Designs

Back to TOP